Monday, November 17, 2008

Hillary for Secretary of State?

Should Barack Obama appoint Hillary Clinton to be Secretary of State? Sure, why not. I am sure she would do a great job, but I would still prefer to see Bill Richardson in that post. Besides, I would hate the see Hillary having to spend half of her time squabbling with Joe "Mr. Know It All" Biden. And, I would rather have her continue to be my Senator.

It does appear to be true that Hillary does not have much of an edge in the Senate pecking order, but I would not count her out yet. Besides, until all of the votes are counted we won't really know how much the Democrats will need her (and Joe Lieberman) to fight off the bitter Republicans. We do not really know the trajectory of Ted Kennedy's health, but we do know Hillary's passion for pursuing universal health care. The Senate leadership should try to recognize the priority of getting results rather than the nit-picking of their seniority system.

Maybe Barack should pick a temporary Secretary of State for the next year or two to get the ball rolling, and then maybe Hillary will be a better bet to come in and take over at that point. In some sense, Richardson is better equipped to hit the ground running, with his UN, diplomatic, and Energy experience.

So, if I were in Barack's shoes, I would not worry so much about Beltway politics and focus on who will have the required focus and passion for showing leadership on the diplomatic front.

My advice to Barack: Bill Richardson for State and twist arms to get Hillary a position in the Senate worthy of her stature and abilities.

-- Jack Krupansky

1 Comments:

At 3:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Although I do feel that Hillary has much to prove, I truly believe that positive thought can transform this country! While it may be easy to dwell on past issues, or negative aspects of Hillary, we can only look to the future and all that it holds in store for us. I've been using this concept in my personal life as well. Positive thought combined with the use of vision boards has truly helped me be more open to opportunity- just as Hillary was! Here's a great resource explaining (better than I can) how to use these concepts to better your life: www.thevisionboardkit.com. You can download a free first chapter, too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home